Captain’s Log 2010 – Sunday

We awoke next morning to a bright day with a clear blue sky, but a flat calm However, about halfway through breakfast there were signs of the wind filling in from the North East. As we were packing and preparing the boat we could hear the fantail of the windmill beginning to spin in the wind. For some reason all crews were up and about early with the first boat away by 09:00. The beat up to Potter was great, the wind being on the nose almost all the way, so it was an interesting challenge. We moored near the bridge, lowered away and quanted through. Something happened on Tarn as she moored up and the wooden tiller handle broke away from the main tiller body.

After a quick visit to Lathams, where the purchase of the day was a collection of small torches, we walked back up the road to the Falgate as the Broadside Tavern appeared unchanged from previous visits. In the Falgate we found that space to eat on Friday evening would be limited as the restaurant was already booked out. The Landlady said she would set us a ‘no obligation’ table in the games room next to the restaurant.

After lunch we called the Greyhound to book dinner table before we set off for Hickling. On sailing past Martham and turning up Candle Dyke we were pleased to see the progress of the drainage woks with new dykes in the fields to the North West of the corner and complete shrub and reed clearance for some distance around the corner allowing us to see across the adjacent fields. Arriving in good order and, for once, being able to enter the Pleasure Boat’s staithe under sail we were pleased to see that the news was correct and the Pleasure Boat was open again. The new landlord, NNNN, has taken on the pub and has set about improving it. He has experience in the area having been employed at the Nelson Head earlier. During discussion it was clear he was very keen to make a real go of the place. Beers excellent, food not tasted. We then walked down tot he Greyhound in the village for our meal. Always a good menu here.