Captains Log 2012 – Tuesday

Awoke to the sound of pouring rain and, as we had arranged to head for Horning, took our time over breakfast. At 10, an hour later than usual, the rain stopped just as we were ready to set off. The wind was back in the west and a bit stronger already. After some discussion we decided not to reef, as the last part of our sail up the Bure, is shrouded by trees. This made for a very manageable sail, but a bit testing at times in the exposed parts.

Once we reached the trees on the approach to Horning progress slowed and we noted that the Ferry pub was open again, but charging £5 for a lunchtime mooring and £10 for an overnight stay, redeemable against food purchased.

Horning - Geese and ducks

Horning - Geese and ducks

When we reached the Swan we found a mooring on the village green, or should I say next to it? There was only one spot so we moored alongside one another and, within half an hour, one of the adjacent boats moved off and we were both then able to lay alongside. By now it was mid afternoon and so a late lunch was called for as the boat’s awnings were rigged and tied down for the expected wind which was showing some signs of increasing.

As usual we had some visitors on the water – popular place Horning!

Horning - Optimists

Horning - Optimists

Shortly after we had madeall secure and headed for the Swan a big rain shower with some mighty gusts came through and it killed the wind. We were glad we were safely indoors by then. A little later the sun peeked through as the wind began to pick up again and the optimist sailors from Horning SC emerged for their weekly sail. They were lucky to pick the one window in the day’s weather pattern.

Horning Swan - Richard & Mike D in earnest discussion

Horning Swan - Richard & Mike D in earnest discussion

Horning Swan - Tony

Horning Swan - Tony

Horning Swan - Mike C

Horning Swan - Mike C

We checked the forecast for the morrow. It remained bad. Lots of thick clouds, a fair amount of rain all day and strong winds until late afternoon. Prospects for Thursday were better with lighter winds in the morning but strong southerly from then until Friday midday. As Danny was scheduled to leave us on Wednesday afternoon, and sailing did not look at all promising, he volunteered to catch a morning bus to Ludham and pick up his car early and we could then go and explore some areas we could not otherwise see.